State Fair

State Fair
State Fair Ribbons

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Blueberry Sour Cream Pound Cake and Happy almost 4th of July

I know there is a cake doctor out there, but I also enjoy doctoring.  I doctored Blueberry Sour Cream Pound Cake, a recipe found on Taste of Home .  It is excellent for the 4th of July desserts lineup.

For the red, white, and blue theme, the only time-consuming part of this recipe is drying the raspberries, but they are easy to use because you don't need to cut them or core them like strawberries.   I line a cookie sheet with paper towels and set them on it.   I used an 8x8 pan for 1/2 the recipe, but I think 9x9 would have been better-the cake was too thick for the 8x8 so the edges were done long before the high center.   

Drying raspberries.




I used an 8x8 pan for this, but I think a 9x9 would have been better.


Finished product (I sampled a corner-can you find it?)

Recipe for 9x13 or 10 inch tube pan:

  • 1 cup salted butter, softened

  • 2 3/4 cups sugar

  • 6 large eggs

  • 1 cup sour cream (I don't skimp on this..I use full fat...it is a pound cake!)

  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour (I used 2 cups AP flour and 1 cup Whole Wheat PASTRY flour)

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1 teaspoon almond extract

  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries-you could probably use 2.5 cups also

  • Optional:  Extra sugar or cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on top before baking


  • Topping:

    2 regular 8 oz size containers of cool whip or one large container
    1 pint fresh blueberries washed and dried
    1 pint fresh raspberries washed and dried

    Directions
    1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy; gradually add sugar and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in extracts.  
    2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda.  Add alternately with the sour cream to  wet ingredients.  Gently fold berries into batter.
    3. Spoon into a greased 10-in. tube or 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-70 minutes or until cake tests done. (In my 9x13 pan this took about 52 minutes.)
    4. Cool cake completely.  Frost with cool whip.  Add fruit in whatever design you like. Refrigerate.
    Footnote:  If using frozen blueberries, don't thaw them.  A few minutes before the batter is ready for them, put them in a bowl and sprinkle with flour to coat them.  Mix them gently so all have a flour coating.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment