State Fair

State Fair
State Fair Ribbons

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Poppyseed Onion salad dressing

Just a quick post about my FAVORITE salad dressing!  I had a strawberry chicken salad at a local restaurant called Crossroads Deli.  It came with their house poppy seed dressing.  It was love at first bite! When I arrived home I went on a quest to duplicate the dressing.  I succeeded.  I found a recipe in Portal to Good Cooking which tasted exactly like the Deli salad dressing on my first try!
As usual I did modify it just a little to suit my tastes.  It is sweet and savory at the same time.  Who would have thought onions and sugar would go well together?
This dressing goes well with a savory salad such as chicken over greens or with mandarin oranges and toasted pecans over greens.   It goes well with sliced strawberries in a garden salad also.   You must try it!


Recipe:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vinegar-I use cider vinegar or regular vinegar
1/2 of a medium onion quartered
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons dry mustard
1 cup salad oil
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

Directions:
In a blender blend  the sugar, vinegar, onion, salt, and dry mustard until mixture is smooth.  At this point you can taste it to see if you need more onion.
Add salad oil. Only blend for 10 or 15 seconds-if you blend it much longer it will get too thick.   Add 1 tablespoon poppy seeds and blend another 5 seconds or so. Refrigerate for an hour before using, but if you run out of time it will be fine to use this dressing right after blending is complete.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Homemade salad dressings in my entire family really boils down to oil and vinegar, but you definitely have me curious about this one. Have you tried it with red onion? That sounds like a win to me :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam, I have not tried a red onion...it would probably add an interesting color.
    It really is my favorite dressing, but I do enjoy a simple oil and vinegar too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! I love poppy seed - just never think to put it in dressing. Thanks, Gloria!

    ReplyDelete