State Fair

State Fair
State Fair Ribbons

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Vanilla conspiracy?

I have always wondered if there was a conspiracy behind adding vanilla to just about every baked product you can imagine.
I am not generally a conspiracy theory person. Stil I wonder how vanilla can enhance already bold flavors when it is so, well, vanilla? I want to know why it is an additive in almost every baked product-even when you want your baked product to taste and smell like strawberry, banana, chocolate, lemon, etc.  Have we been brainwashed into thinking vanilla enhances the flavor of *everything* we bake?   Has anyone ever tried to bake a batch of brownies with, and then without that teaspoon of vanilla to see if it makes a detectable difference?  What would happen to the vanilla industry if millions of Bakers performed a simple taste test: (make a small pan of brownies with vanilla and a small pan of brownies without vanilla) and they determined there was no detectable difference between the two? 
Well, this Baker performed the test with brownies. I went on to conclude when you want a strong flavored baked product such as strawberry, chocolate, banana, lemon, maple, etc., the teaspoon of vanilla does not affect the flavor, but it can detract from the flavor if you use too much.  I believe vanilla can enhance the flavors of certain items such  as vanilla ice cream, vanilla cupcakes, vanilla pudding, custards, and other delicate flavored desserts and sauces.   However, when it comes to wanting a bold flavor to pop, make sure your batter is not overly sweet (make sure you've added enough salt.) In addition, adding various extracts such as orange, maple, strawberry, and lemon  makes baked good's  flavors pop and adds a surprisingly delicious element to some traditional items.  I understand many of you will not be willing or able to quit your vanilla addiction to all things baked. You might tremble and perspire with fear at the thought of not adding vanilla the next time you bake something.  For you I say: baby steps.

4 comments:

  1. That's a good point. We really do add vanilla to just about everything. Must be nice to be in the vanilla business. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accidentally left it out of some chocolate chip cookies the other day and could definitely tell. It may be subtle, but I think a lot of us are use to those flavor undertones it adds. I love vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're brave enough to break the vanilla mold! I know that vanilla really brings out the taste of most cookies, but I've taken to adding a bit of almond extract to my cakes. Just the tiniest bit goes a long way, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those of us who love vanilla, I think quite often the teaspoon measure (which is standard) is not enough to make a difference. No matter the size of the recipe, its always 1 teaspoon. When I use the correct amount for a recipe, such as chocolate chip cookies, I think vanilla really enhances the flavors perfectly. But I imagine there are other desserts where vanilla doesn't matter as much.

    ReplyDelete