State Fair

State Fair
State Fair Ribbons

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mixed nut caramel orange pie

Experimenting with pecan pie today because I have Mah Jongg players-AKA dessert testers-coming over tonight.  My recipe is adapted from Cookie Madness Browned Butter pecan pie-the best pecan pie I have tasted. I thought it might be fun to find out what other nuts and flavors would taste good in this pie.  Caramel is made with sugar and butter, yes?  Maybe a stretch to call this pie caramel...not sure!
The peanut flavor and pecan flavor are the strongest.  I liked it.  I think you could add chocolate chips too.  So here is what I changed from the recipe at Cookie Madness   Instead of vanilla I added 1/2 teaspoon orange extract.  Instead of 1 cup toasted chopped pecans I added 1/4 cup toasted pecans, 1/4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds, and a 1/4 cup lightly salted canned cashews.  I think I might leave out the almonds next time...they look like weird sticks to me! I apologize for the crust-I'm still learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment